Arriva plc – Valuing, Managing and Welcoming Difference
Arriva is one of the largest transport services organisation in Europe, employing some 55,900 people and delivering more than 1.5 billion passenger journeys across 15 European countries every year. Arriva’s widely diverse workforce reflects the communities they serve. Valuing and respecting diversity in colleagues and customers is underpinned by the group’s diversity policy and so a programme to reach a 24,000 strong workforce with consistent and effective training was a huge challenge.
Garnett Interactive was tasked with developing and devising programmes to bring about both a renewed culture of valuing and respecting diversity within the organisation, and a training package to improve communication skills and increase confidence in managers.
The areas of focus were:
- To raise awareness of the Arriva business case for diversity and its benefits
- To ensure that managers’ and supervisors’ behaviours promoted the company’s approach to valuing difference
- To ensure that managers and supervisors fully understand the benefits of, and their accountability for, communications with their teams
- To support staff in considering and challenging their perceptions, prejudices and behaviours
- To enhance skills and confidence and engender an enthusiasm for communicating effectively and motivating team members.
We developed two training programmes. The programme which commenced with the top 200 managers, featured a bespoke theatrical play which together with interactive workshops, has now trained over 1800 directors, managers, supervisors and staff on the importance of valuing and welcoming difference. This programme won a CBI Human Capital Award for Innovative Ways of Working.
This was followed by the design and implementation of our ‘train the trainer’ programme through which 100 facilitators were equipped to deliver diversity training to Arriva staff, using a bespoke workshop and specially developed DVD. The training continues to be rolled out across the group.
Following the success of the Valuing, Managing and Welcoming Difference programme, Arriva approached us to focus on their leadership and communication, designed to support their change programme.
Following research into the bus and train companies, we developed a one day programme for managers and supervisors which explored culture, customer service, communication and leadership roles within the organisation. The programme was successfully rolled out across the UK. It was then delivered in Denmark, Portugal and Holland.
More than 7,000 employees across the group experienced diversity training through their Valuing, Managing and Welcoming Difference programme, designed by Garnett Interactive.
- 95% would recommend the training to supervisors and managers
- 94% personally committed to improving communication where they worked
- 91% better understood the consequences of not communicating effectively
“We were looking for an innovative way to engage our senior managers and gain their support for our business case for diversity. I knew traditional classroom style training would not achieve one of our objectives to challenge and change values and beliefs. The Valuing and Managing Difference workshops featuring customised theatre experiences, exceeded my expectations and you can see change taking place on a daily basis.”
HR Director, Arriva plc